Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Roundtable #2 - OKTrends, Missed Connections - 6/20/12

(Right-Click/Ctrl-Click to 'Save File As')

I hope that you all liked our round-table discussion last week, because we're doing it again this week!

Sonya and I got to chat with our engineer this week, Ben, and decided to talk about the phenomenon of missed connections on Craigslist, and read a few for you. Although we explain it on the show, here's the low down: a missed connection is when you see someone in real life, but don't have the guts to talk to them/ask for their number, and then regret it. Thankfully though, the internet has been invented, and missed connections allow us to reach out blindly for our hopeful lovers. There's also a really great illustrated book about missed connections called Missed Connections: Love, Lost & Found which you should check out if you dig this idea. Also, here's kind of how a missed connection works, but is mostly my excuse to reference Amélie:
Amelie looks ready to post a missed connection. 

Man at the photo booth - w4m: 
I saw you at the photo booth and I think you're sensitive and charming. I can't get you out of my head. My neighbor thinks I'm obsessed. Also, I have your scrapbook of ripped up photos of strangers. I dig that. Let's meet at The Two Windmills at 4pm. I may or may not be in a Zorro costume. 

"This is you, isn't it? No, really, it's you. I can tell by the Zorro suit!"

We also check out the OKCupid blog, although not really updated anymore, and talk about a few of the charts and trends that seem to be common on OKCupid that could definitely be relevant to your sex life, especially if you have an online dating account and want to know how the logistics and culture work online. Now go forth and be educated by our show!

Links you should check out:
Music you heard:
  • "Pretending To..." by Illicit Tsuboi (Samurai Champloo)
  • "De Hombre A Hombre" by Gotan Project
  • "Fu-Wa-Fu-Ra" by Taku Iwasaki (R.O.D. the TV)
    Until next time, you sexual beasts. 

    1 comment: